Fly Fishing Gear
If you are ready to hit the lake or the river, or even the stream, don't go without this fly fishing gear. There is not much that you need to get started, but there are a few essentials. Fly fishing is a great outdoor activity that can be enjoyed by all ages.
- Fly fishing rod. You can't do much fishing without this. Rods for beginners should be about 8.5 to 9 feet long. The prices can range from $100 to well over $1000. If you are just starting out, try something in the lower range, but not the lowest or you will probably have a very frustrating day on the water.
- Fly reel. The reels for fly fishing are pretty basic, but you want a fairly good one. It should be rust proof because it will get wet. For freshwater fly fishing you only need a single retrieve, but for saltwater fly fishing you may want to look into either an automatic or a multiplying retrieve.
- Fly fishing waders. If you are going to be spending any time standing while you are fly fishing. in a river or lake when you will probably want a pair of waders. Make sure they are breathable and very light.
- Vest. A fly fishing vest is not very exciting, but very necessary. It will hold all of your items that you will need while you are standing out in the water. A fly fishing vest should have a large number of pockets, but not so many that you can't find anything when you need it.
- Fly box. A fly box is one of those fly fishing items that you will need once you start accumulating flies. It will keep them in place and organized so you can find what you need when you need it.