Folkstyle wrestling rules are the same as the rules for college wrestling. Folkstyle is basically only another word for collegiate in terms of wrestling. The rules for folkstyle wrestling are not complicated, but you need to know and understand them before you can participate in a match. There are a few rules in particular that are most important to know even before you start training in folkstyle wrestling.
- Penalties In folkstyle wrestling, one of the rules is that you can lose points on penalties. Also, if you are penalized, then your opponent may actually be awarded points, which makes avoiding penalties even more important. Some things you can be penalized for include illegal holes, technical violations, stalling and unnecessary roughness.
- Scoring Points The most important part of folkstyle wrestling is gaining points. This is how you can win the match. You get a different amount of points for different moves. For example, you can be awarded one pint if you escape from your opponent’s move and two points if you are able to takedown your opponent. Gaining control over your opponent from a submissive position can also get you two points.
- Conduct The way you conduct yourself is very important to folkstyle wrestling. You are basically expected to be on your best behavior while taking down your opponent. Unlike professional wrestling matches, you cannot display un-sportsman like conduct, such as gloating or celebrating.
- Format Folkstyle wrestling matches consist of three periods during which you can either gain or lose points. Each of these periods is timed and usually indicated by the blowing of a whistle. At the end of the period, you and your opponent must immediately break.
- Team Effort Racking up more points than your opponents can help you win your individual match. However, to win as a team, your team needs to accumulate more points than the opposing team. This means that your focus should be on accumulating as many points as possible, even if you know you’ve most likely already won the match after the first or second period.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.