Do you need to know what foods to eat after a tonsillectomy? Here is a list of foods that can help you out in the future if you undergo a tonsillectomy. A tonsillectomy is a twenty minute surgery to remove the tonsils. If they become infected, you might need this type of surgery. It usually takes between five to twelve days for the pain of the surgery to subside. This guide will help you get the nutrition you need without the worries.
- Popsicles. It's recommended that you eat and drink soon after a tonsillectomy to help the site heal faster. Soft and cold foods are soothing to your throat. The cooling effect of popsicles is easy to swallow and provides the liquid you need to stay hydrated.
- Mashed Potatoes. Super soft foods like mashed potatoes are great foods to eat after a tonsillectomy. The potatoes don't require chewing and will keep your stomach from becoming too upset. Other mashed vegetables are okay as well.
- Jello. You can't go wrong with this food. The sweet taste can help you eat when you really don't have the urge. It's also soothing to an upset stomach, a side effect of a tonsillectomy.
- Scrambled Eggs. Scrambled eggs are another recommended food to eat after a tonsillectomy. The eggs provide the nutrition you need to heal faster.
- Ice Cream and Pudding. Although ice cream is a favorite food for children after a tonsillectomy, you might find it especially soothing to your throat. The cold may help any pain or irritation you feel. Pudding of any flavor is perfect. It goes down softly and coats the stomach.
- Broth. Warm broths are good foods to eat. The broth is nourishing and hydrating. You should avoid broths that are too salty or hot. The salt can irritate the surgery site. You should also sip the broth or use a spoon.
Foods to avoid include chips and pretzels. Any food that has sharp edges or crunchiness should not be eaten for at least a week or so until your site heals more. You can discuss this with your doctor about when to eat more than soft foods. Also, avoid anything with acid. Orange juice and other citric acid containing foods are not recommended. The acid will burn or sting.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.