These foods to eat to lower cholesterol can keep you heart healthy. High cholesterol is a leading cause in heart attacks and strokes. It clogs up your arteries and often leads to heart conditions if not treated properly. The best ways to lower your cholesterol is by eating healthy and getting enough daily exercise. Check out these foods to eat that lower cholesterol.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal has beneficial fiber. Fiber is known to lower the bad cholesterol in your blood. The bad cholesterol, or LDL, is one of the culprits for heart attacks. Eat a bowl every morning and you might see the high cholesterol numbers decrease.
- Fish: The omega-3 fatty acid found in fish is a great fighter against high cholesterol. It can lower cholesterol by preventing blood clots from forming in your arteries. It's recommended that you eat about two servings of tasty fish a week. Salmon, halibut and sardines are some fish you might try.
- Nuts: Nuts are loaded with nutrition. They can decrease the cholesterol found in your blood with polyunsaturated fatty acids. This fatty acid works by keeping your blood vessels strong and healthy. Blood is pumped better when your bloods vessels are unblocked.
- Beans: Beans are one of the healthiest foods you can eat for lowering cholesterol. The natural soluble fiber found in beans binds to cholesterol and fat. It prevents it from entering your bloodstream and clogging the arteries.
- Soy: Soy can lower your high cholesterol by up to 6%. Eating 25 grams of soy protein can accomplish this. You can add soybeans, soy milk and other soy containing foods in your diet. However, soy sauce is not a good choice. It is high in sodium, another cause of heart problems.
Cholesterol is naturally found in your body, but consuming high amounts of fatty foods can increase the levels. You should avoid red meat with excess fat content, whole milk and other foods with saturated and trans fats. It's recommended that you eat lean meats and low-fat milk products. Daily exercise can also lower your cholesterol levels.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
A Noble Experiment… With Bourbon
What happens when jeans are “aged” liked a fine spirit? We’ll soon find out.
Today in Nick Offerman: Love, Work and iPhone Advice
He offered that, plus tales of college sex, on the Tonight Show.
Cooking With Booze: Bourbon Barrel Quad Ice Cream
If you're ever going to make dessert, make it this beer-and-bourbon brilliance.