There are a number of football coaching positions on a typical coaching staff. As positions get more and more specialized, they need individual attention from coaches who specialize in a particular area.
- Quarterback coach. This is one of the newest football coaching positions. There was a time when the quarterback was coached by the offensive coordinator, but teams realized that the quarterback—the most important position on the team—needs his own individual attention. The quarterback coach works on technique and mechanics, and not so much on offensive philosophy, which is the job of the offensive coordinator.
- Offensive line coach. The football coach in this position works with the offensive linemen on their blocking techniques. He helps design blocking schemes for both running and passing plays and helps his five players learn to work together. He at times has input into the offensive philosophy and play calling, and this position is often a stepping stone to higher-level coaching posts.
- Linebacker coach. Linebackers require the most diverse set of skills of any position on the field and require a unique coach. This football coaching position is filled by a coach who oversees a group of players that must be able to blitz the quarterback, cover players downfield and step up and stop the run.
- Defensive back coach. The football coach for this position leads players who have a very demanding job—they are out on an “island,” and any mistake can lead to a long play for the offense. This coach, if successful, can be promoted to defensive coordinator.
- Running back coach. The person in this football coaching position helps the team workhorse with his running ability. Reading defenses, having good field vision, picking up the blitz and running routes are among the tasks on which a running back must be coached.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?