Football sayings are used by coaches and players to motivate and inspire each other. Many football sayings have become part of the American dialogue and used by people in every day situations. When you come into a situation where a football saying may be relevant, use one of these football sayings.
- "You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four." Dan Birdwell played for the Oakland Raiders in the 1960's. A lot of good football sayings came from the Raiders during that time period, but none of them expressed the anger needed to properly play the game of football quite like Birdwell's.
- "Football is a game played with arms, legs and shoulders but mostly from the neck up." Legendary player and coach Knute Rockne was one of the greatest proponents of the game of football. His football sayings became mottos for teams all over the country, and this saying tries to deride the notion that football is not a thinking man's game.
- "The reason that women do not play football is because eleven of them would never wear the same outfit in public." The line created between men and women by football has been the topic of discussion ever since the NFL was born. Comedienne Phyllis Diller gave her contribution to the football sayings that divide men and women with this extremely funny observation.
- "If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?" The legendary coach Vince Lombardi believed that winning in football required the same skills as winning in life. When asked why he was so convinced that winning was the only important thing in life, Lombardi gave this classic answer.
- "Football features two of the worst aspects of American life; violence and committee meetings." In the 1940's, professional football was very popular in the United States, and journalists like George F. Will loved to make keen observations on the correlation between life and the game of football. This was one of Will's more interesting football sayings.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
What Your Shoes Tell Her About You
How footwear can kick-start your dating game—or kick dirt on your grave.
10 Real-Life Heroes Who Inspired Indiana Jones
Legend has it, these guys are the real MVPs.