Free Virus Removal For Windows Xp
It is not hard to get free virus removal for Windows XP. The most sure way to remove any Windows virus is to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the operating system, but this is an extreme measure people should only save for a last resort. Instead, a computer user has several options that do not cost a penny to remove malicious software from Windows PCs. Keep in mind that viruses are specific type of malicious code and the items listed here may not remove spyware.
- Malware Bytes. Malware Bytes is a free solution that lets the user run the program on to remove viruses, spyware, Trojans and applications the program considers harmful. C-net editors recommend it. Often, when the other options on this list fail, Malware Bytes can get a computer up and running again. As with the other programs on this list, a scan can take several hours.
- Avast. Avast offers real time scanning, e-mail scanning and protection against viruses. The terminate and stay resident portion of the program will scan e-mail files and downloaded files to help protect the PC. Although it offers good virus removal functionality, it may not remove some of the more persistent viruses.
- AVG. Anti Virus Guard as the program is also called, offers many of the same features Avast does, but it prefers users to buy the product. A person who registers the product can receive free updates. Much like Avast, a commercial user needs to pay for the product's license.
- Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool. This free malware removal program is included with the Windows operating system. A person who knows the ins and outs of Windows can use it to remove spyware, viruses, and adware. It is the least useful tool mentioned.
- Things Not To Do. The commercials for products like MyClean PC will work, but remember they only offer a system scan. Users have to pay for removal of the malware or viruses detected with these programs. Another trap exists for the unaware. Many malicious developers offer anti-virus and anti spyware products with similar names as the legitimate programs. Look at what you are downloading carefully.