If you are in the mood for a light and fluffy chocolate delight, try this easy to make French silk pie recipe. French silk pie filling, made with egg substitute, makes this a healthy, low cholesterol dessert. Pie is an American favorite and so is a fresh homemade French silk pie.
French Silk Pie Pastry
To make French silk pie, you will need:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- Dry ingredients for the pastry. Sift together the flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut the shortening into the flour. Use a pastry blender or two table knives in a cutting motion to cut the shortening into the flour until the mixture is crumbly.
- Mix the pastry dough. Sprinkle cold water over the flour mixture one tablespoon at a time. Mix with a fork until the dough is moist. Gather the pastry dough into a ball and place on a flat floured surface. Pat the dough into a circle, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Remove the dough from the refrigerator, remove the plastic, and place on a flat floured surface. Use a floured rolling pin to roll the dough into a circle two inches larger than the outer rim of the pie pan. Place the rolled dough in the pie pan and press against the bottom and side. Roll the excess edges under to shorten them. Flute the edges of the pie crust with the knuckles of your fingers. Score the bottom and sides of the pie crust with a fork. Bake for eight to ten minutes until golden brown. Cool on a cooling rack.
French Silk Pie Filling
To make the French Silk Pie Filling, you will need:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup fat-free cholesterol-free egg product
- Mix the French Silk filling. Place the softened butter and sugar in a medium bowl. Mix with an electric mixer until fluffy. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat in the vanilla and the chocolate. Slowly add the egg substitute and mix for three minutes until light and fluffy.
- Complete the French Silk Pie. Pour the mixture into the cooled pie crust and refrigerate for two hours. Serve with a dollop of dessert topping.
Tips and Warnings:
- The best way to cut shortening into flour is to use your fingers to blend the ingredients until the flour is crumbly.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds and additional 10 second intervals if necessary.
- Because the French Silk pie filling is not cooked it is not recommended to use raw eggs in the filling. Salmonella is a reality with raw eggs that causes serious illness.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …