This frog eye salad recipe is the perfect salad to make if you are in the mood for something sweet. Most recipes make a big batch so it is a good salad to make when you need to feed a crowd. It uses a very small round pasta to give it the texture that is expected from frog eye salad. There are different ways to make it, some like to use whipped cream for a sweeter version, or you can try this recipe which uses vanilla pudding so it is not quite as sweet.
Things you will need to make frog eye salad:
- 1 1/3 cups acini di pepe pasta, uncooked
- 1 20 oz can of pineapple chunks, drained. (reserve 1/4 cup of the juice)
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 (3 1/2 oz) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 3 (12 oz) cans mandarin orange sections, drained
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- Cook pasta in boiling water for eleven minutes. Drain well, rinsing with cold water to cool the pasta. Rinse a few times with the cold water to make sure that all of the pasta is cool. Your salad will not come out right if the pasta is still warm.
- In a large bowl, beat the reserved pineapple juice, milk, sugar, and pudding mix for two minutes.
- Gently stir in the pasta and all the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and refirgerate your frog eye salad for at least five hours before serving.