George Jones' songs is a collection that ranges from pure fun to absolute tear jerking tales of romance gone wrong. Well known for having an alcohol and cocaine addiction, Jones continued to record country and western hits. Before the age of 24, George Jones had already been divorced twice and enlisted in the United States Marine Corps.
- "He Stopped Loving Her Today" was recorded in 1980 by George Jones. The song is one of the most popular country music songs of all times based on a survey by "Song Review." George Jones sings about a friend who kept old love letters, photographs and keepsakes of a former sweetheart in the hopes that she would come back to him. In the chorus of the song the listener learns that he stopped loving her because he died.
- "White Lightning" became George Jones first number one single in 1959. Due to his alcohol addiction, during the recording session it took George Jones over 80 takes to record the song to his record producer's satisfaction. "White Lightning" was written by J.P. Richardson, who died in the famous airplane crash that also killed Buddy Holly and Richie Valens.
- "She Thinks I Still Care" tells the story of a broken relationship where the guy really does care about the girl and can't get over her. This song became the third country and western number one hit for George Jones in 1962. Many artists such as Anne Murray, Connie Francis and Elvis Presley have also recorded the song.
- "Still Doing Time" became the eighth number one hit for George Jones as a solo artist in 1981. The song stayed on the country and western charts for ten straight weeks as number one. Very similar to George Jones' own life, "Still Doing Time" tells the story about an alcoholic who loves the bottle more than his wife.
- "Tender Years" is a tear jerking love song that George Jones sings to a woman who is in love with another man, but no matter what happens, George Jones will wait for her and be her last love. This song became his second number one hit on the country and western charts in 1961. "Tender Years" spent a total of 32 weeks on the country charts.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …