Bake a scrumptious dessert using this German chocolate cake and frosting recipe. This treat was invented in 1852 by Sam German, an American baker, and it still remains popular to this day.
To use a German chocolate cake and frosting recipe, you will need:
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 4 ounces coarsely chopped chocolate
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 7 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 7 ounce package flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat two nine inch cake pans with unsalted butter, and dust with flour to make the cake pan non-stick.
- Put four ounces of coarsely chopped chocolate in a bowl. Pour 1/2 cup of boiling water on the chocolate. Stir the water and chocolate until completely mixed.
- Put two cups of sugar and one cup of unsalted butter into a different bowl. Use a mixer on medium speed to beat the sugar and butter together for one minute.
- Separate the yolks of seven large eggs. Keep the egg whites in a separate bowl, and set aside two egg yolks for the frosting. Add the egg yolks into the bowl of sugar and butter. Mix on low speed while adding the chocolate mixture and one teaspoon of vanilla. Pour one cup of buttermilk and two cups of flour into the bowl.
- Use the mixture to beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Pour the egg whites into the batter. Stir the batter well with a rubber spatula until it is completely mixed.
- Divide the cake batter evenly into two nine inch cake pans. Place the cake pans into the oven. Cook for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Turn the stove on medium heat. Put one cup of sugar, twelve ounces of evaporated milk, three egg yolks from large eggs, and one teaspoon of vanilla into a saucepan on the stove. Stir the mixture constantly for ten minutes.
- Stir seven ounces of flaked coconuts and 1 1/2 cup of chopped pecans into the saucepan. Remove the saucepan from the stove, and put the mixture into a bowl. Cool it to room temperature.
- Remove the cake pan from the oven. Take the cakes out of the cake pans. Put one cake on a tray, and coat it with the pecan and coconut mixture.
- Put the second cake on top of the first one. Frost the entire cake with the pecan and coconut mixture to finish the German chocolate cake.
Stab a fork in the middle of the German chocolate cake to test when the cake is fully cooked. If the fork comes out clean, the cake is finished. Be careful when dealing with hot ovens and cake pans.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …