Looking for an elegant gluten free cake recipe with all the trimmings? Celiac disease patients who cannot eat the protein, gluten, are always on the lookout for easy yet delicious gluten free cake recipes. And what can be more elegant than a gluten free café au lait cake topped with frosting? Ideal for tea parties or birthday parties, this simple gluten free cake recipe will please even the most demanding gourmets.
Here’s what you’ll need for this gluten free cake recipe:
- 1 tbsp. instant coffee
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 box (15 oz.) of gluten free chocolate cake mix
Here’s what you’ll need for the gluten free frosting recipe:
- 2 tsp. of instant coffee
- 1 tbsp. cold water
- 1 1/2 cups of frozen whipped topping
- 1/4 cup chocolate frosting
- Chocolate-coated espresso beans (optional)
- Preheat your oven. Place the rack in the middle slot of your oven, then heat the oven to 350°F (175°C) or to 325°F (160°C) if you’re using a dark nonstick pan. By the time you complete the steps of this gluten free cake recipe, your oven will be warm enough for baking.
- Grease your baking pan. Even if you are using a nonstick baking pan for this gluten free cake recipe, grease the bottom of the pan with oil or shortening using a crumpled paper towel to coat the sides. The ideal pan size for this gluten free cake recipe is a round 8 or 9 inch pan, though a pundit pan can work as well.
- Prepare the gluten free cake batter. Stir a tablespoon of coffee into a cup of water then pour the mixture into a large bowl. Add the gluten free cake mix, soft butter and the eggs and mix on low speed for 30 seconds to blend the powder with the liquids without blowing a cloud of flour in your face. Next continue mixing on medium speed for 2 minutes and use a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Bake the gluten free cake. Pour the batter into the greased pan and place the pan on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 43 to 48 minutes. Slip a wood toothpick into the center of the café au lait cake; if the toothpick emerges dry your gluten free cake is ready.
- Moisten your gluten free cake. Though this step is optional,you can add moisture to this gluten free cake recipe by slicing it horizontally in half to split the cake into a top and bottom half. Use dental floss wrapped around the forefingers of both your hands and slice the cake with it. Place one half facing up on a plate and keep the other on the pan. Next sprinkle the cake with more dissolved coffee mixture using your fingers.
- Make the gluten free cake frosting. Stir 2 tsp. of coffee into 1 tbsp. of cold water then pour into a medium bowl. Thaw the frozen whipped topping in your microwave then add it to the bowl together with 1/4 cup of frosting and mix gently.
- Decorate the gluten free cake. If you have not yet sliced your cake, do so now to coat its center with half the frosting mixture. Use a spatula to smear the frosting evenly then place the top half of the cake back over the frosted bottom. Use the spatula again to coat the outside of the cake with the remaining coffee flavored frosting.
- Garnish. Chill the cake in the refrigerator for 1 hour, then sprinkle the top with chocolate-coated coffee beans.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Mind-Blowing Necktie Knots
“How many knots are there?” you ask. Dozens, at least, most of which will totally amaze you.
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…