Gluten Free Dessert Recipe
This moist and delicious gluten free dessert is perfect anytime of the day or night. Apple coffee cake can be served at room temperature or serve it hot from the oven a la mode. This dessert recipe certainly lives up to its name because it’s a perfect partner with a cup of steaming coffee! Since this gluten free dessert is bursting with apple goodness, you can even serve it for breakfast without feeling guilty.
There are many brands of gluten free products on the market. Just always remember to check the labels of all ingredients to be sure there is no chance of cross contamination with products that do contain gluten. The following list is the items you’ll need to make this tasty gluten free dessert.
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp. of gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, divided
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon, divided
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. all natural, no corn syrup added pure vanilla extract
- 2 large cored apples, peeled and chopped, any variety
- 1 large mixing bowl plus 2 small mixing bowls,
- measuring spoons, whisk, wooden spoon 2 measuring cups, 1 for dry ingredients and 1 for wet ingredients
- 1 9-inch round cake pan
- Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees. Use a small amount of shortening or nonstick vegetable spray and lightly grease the 9-inch round cake pan.
- Measure one cup of gluten free flour into a large mixing bowl and add the baking powder, salt and ½ teaspoon of the cinnamon. Use a whisk and thoroughly mix the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, measure ½ cup of the brown sugar, the remainder 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, the remainder 2 teaspoons of gluten free flour and the ½ cup of chopped walnuts. Lightly blend all of the ingredients together by using a small spoon. Set this bowl aside for now as this will be the topping for the cake.
- In a separate medium to large mixing bowl and with the other clean measuring cup, measure the ½ cup vegetable oil and the 2 large eggs and whisk together. Add the ½ cup granulated white sugar, the remainder 1/4 cup of brown sugar and the 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract. Blend all of these together.
- Now add the chopped apples to the eggs, oil and sugar mixture by lightly incorporating them. This eggs and apple mixture can now be lightly blended into the large mixing bowl of flour. The batter is now ready to be poured into the greased cake pan. Evenly sprinkle the walnut topping over the batter in the cake pan.
- Place the cake pan in the preheated 375 degree oven and bake for approximately 30 to 35 minutes. Ovens do cook foods differently, so you may have to adjust the baking time slightly for your oven.
Serve this delicious gluten free dessert recipe warm from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side as a dinner finale. It’s also good served at room temperature the next morning with a cup of coffee. Be sure to tightly cover the top of the pan with a piece of aluminum foil to prevent the cake from drying out.