Finding a good gluten free scones recipe is no easy task. The secret to light, fluffy gluten free scones is in the flour you use. This article includes two recipes. The first one is a recipe for creating your own gluten free flour. You can use this flour mix as you would in any pastry recipe that calls for flour.
To make gluten free pastry flour mix, you will need:
- 2 cups rice flour
- 2 cups tapioca flour
- 2 cups corn starch
- 6 teaspoons potato flour (If you can't find potato flour, it's okay to omit.)
- Sift all ingredients together.
- Store in airtight container in the refrigerator.
To make this gluten free scones recipe, you will need:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups gluten free pastry flour mix (recipe above)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix the sour cream and baking soda. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Cut in the butter with two knives or a pastry cutter.
- Stir the sour cream mixture and egg into the flour mixture until just moistened. Mix in the raisins.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. Roll or pat dough into a 3/4 inch thick round.
- Cut into 12 wedges, and place the gluten free scones two inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the gluten free scones for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown on the bottom.
- You may use any other dried fruit in place of the raisins to make this gluten free scones recipe. Try dates, cranberries or blueberries.
- Experiment with ingredients to personalize your gluten free scones recipe!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.