Gluten Free Sugar Cookie Recipe
A wheat allergy doesn’t have to keep you away from cooking when you make cookies using a gluten free sugar cookie recipe. You can turn your gluten free sugar cookies into a delectable plate of decorated Christmas cookies, or just enjoy these amazingly good gluten free sugar cookies fresh from the oven.
To make gluten free sugar cookies, you will need:
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Butter
- 1 egg
- 2 ½ cups Gluten Free Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Waxed paper
- Prepare the ingredients. Remove two sticks of butter from the refrigerator and place on the counter to soften to room temperature. Combine the softened butter and sugar in a bowl and cream together. The butter and sugar should be mixed until the mixture is creamy smooth. Add the egg and beat until blended and smooth.
- Prepare the dry ingredients. Measure the flour and baking soda into a separate bowl and mix thoroughly. Add any dry flavoring like cinnamon or crushed Anise seed to the flour mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Make the gluten free sugar cookie dough. Slowly add the flour mixture to the egg and butter mixture and mix with a wooden spoon. As the flour is absorbed add additional flour and continue mixing until the dough is smooth and moist.
- Shape the gluten free sugar cookies. Lightly flour a large sheet of waxed paper. Roll the dough into a single ball and place on the sheet of floured waxed paper. Press the ball of dough flat with your lightly floured fingers. Lightly dust the top of the dough and place a second sheet of waxed paper over the dough. Using a rolling pen, roll the dough in the waxed paper until it is 1/8 inch thick. Place the gluten free sugar cookie dough in the waxed paper in the refrigerator to chill for a minimum of fifteen minutes. When the dough is chilled, remove it from the refrigerator, remove the top layer of waxed paper, and cut into shapes.
- Bake the gluten free sugar cookies. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the cut gluten free sugar cookie dough on the greased baking sheet. Sprinkle the tops of the cookies with sugar or a mixture of sugar and cinnamon. Bake for eight minutes. Cool on a wire cooling rack. Decorate when cool if desired.
Tips and Warnings:
- Gluten free sugar cookies can be flavored with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, or just about any flavor extract. Ice or frost the cookies or give the tops a dusting of sugar.
- Use care not to over bake the gluten free cookies. Place the cookie sheet on the middle rack in the oven to avoid burning the bottom of the cookies.