Goodbye songs come in all varieties. Farewell to friends, graduation, the loss of a loved one, break ups–there are numerous reasons to find a meaningful song to say goodbye. The following examples of classic (and new) goodbye songs cover everything from graduation to lost loved ones, from sad and sappy to uplifting and hopeful.
- Lionel Richie’s “Goodbye” is a sad and sappy style melody. In terms of goodbye songs, it works for breakups or lost loved ones. While the melody is slow and sad, the lyrics are hopeful and uplifting.
- Green Day’s “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” is a good all-purpose choice for goodbye songs. It’s a little on the sarcastic side, but a useful option for graduation parties, memorials, and even break ups, especially for those in the under 30 crowd.
- “So Long, Farewell” from “The Sound of Music” is a light, upbeat choice for goodbye songs. Sending a colleague off, children graduating to a new school, or any event that needs a happy, good luck to you sort of send off is a good setting for this particular good bye song.
- “Tears in Heaven” by Eric Clapton tops the charts of sad goodbye songs. Written about the loss of his son, this teary farewell exemplifies all the hurt and pain of losing someone you love. When saying goodbye requires a really good cry, this is the perfect choice.
- Alicia Keys’ “Goodbye” is a real tear-jerker when it comes to goodbye songs. She asks the very painful question, “How do you find the words to say goodbye when your heart don’t have the heart to say goodbye?” For a gal broken hearted over losing a guy, this song will become her anthem during the healing process.
- “So Far Away” by Staind highlights reaching a place when you “Feel like I can face the day. I’m not ashamed to be the person that I am today.”When you find yourself ready to say goodbye to a person, a time in your life, or painful event, this is the perfect goodbye song. Few goodbye songs can call themselves empowering, but this one can.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …