Goon Affiliated Tracklist
It is difficult to be indifferent towards Plies and with this "Goon Affiliated" track list you will have no excuse but to decide whether you dig the artist or not. This album is an interesting invasion of your personal space with the feeling of it walking right up to your toes and leaning far too close to your face. Try a few before you buy and see if these tracks speak to you.
- "All I Know". Tinged with the 80s, "All I Know" brings light music behind a toned down rap and lets it run its own race. This "Goon Affiliated" song doesn't rush to the finish line, as there isn't any competition, just Plies against himself as the seconds whir by. The music feels equal parts discordant and sympathetic to the vocals, sometimes working other times failing and in the end you have to decide which won out.
- "Bruh Bruh". A flavor of the day word marks this "Goon Affiliated" song as one that probably won't last long but will go down swinging with its fevered catchiness. Sure it's one word repeated but it still rolls off the tongue and makes you grin while saying it. Plies isn't trying to reinvent the wheel with this song, or even make the wheel better, instead he's showing that any wheel will roll if you give it an infectious phrase like the one inside "Bruh Bruh".
- "Model". An interesting cadence makes this track feel like a vocal wave that's swimming against the tide of the music underneath it. It's fun to mimic as Plies lets "Model" run like a little kid down an up escalator: stumbling often but still having a good time. In the world of "Goon Affiliated" this track has smatterings of the talent that lies in being able to try out new ways of approaching vocals. All in all, it's worth focusing on the cadence while you guess as to if this marks something that will take precedence in future albums or die on the vine.
- "Go Live". Sharp beats meet what feels like a dare to not go beyond three words for every rhyme in "Go Live". It's hard to determine if it lands harder on the amusing side or the sadder side of "Goon Affiliated" tracks. On one hand it's fun hearing what he comes up with and on the other you wonder how much effort truly went into this song. Another song where you'll land on one side of the judging scales without any need to over think.
- "Whatever I Say". Typical club beat drops don't necessarily kill a song, but there's a serious lack of any passion in Plies' voice and so this "Goon Affiliated" track suffers hard. It seems as if this song got check marked as "club ready" and thrown in to assuage the gods of partying with the hope no one would notice that it lacks any kind of motivation behind the music or the vocals. Unfortunately for "Whatever I Say" it's apparent from the start that the whole thing feels phoned in from inside the longest tunnel "Goon Affiliated" could find.