These graduation songs for 2010 are songs that both remind students of where they've been and where they're going. The best songs go deeper than merely reliving grad night and talking about caps and gowns. These songs also speak of the lessons learned and the challenges up ahead.
- "True Friends" – Miley Cyrus. This Miley Cyrus song speaks about friendship. When students graduate, it's their friends that they'll remember most. Sure, there are those teachers that made an impact and events that will never be forgotten. But "friends hang on through the ups and downs," as Cyrus reminds us.
- "Unwritten" – Natasha Beddingfield. College can be a lot like "staring at the blank page before you," as Natasha Beddingfield notes in this song. Yes, high school can be like so many serious journal entries. So can college, if that's the institution you're graduating from. However, wherever you go, it will be like a brand new blank page.
- "Dare You To Move" – Switchfoot. Graduating is all about movement. It's a way for life to say, 'You can't stay there any more.' This Switchfoot track is a graduation song of sorts, in that it dares you to move into the unknown.
- "When I Grow Up" – The Pussycat Dolls. Granted, this song by The Pussycat Dolls is a rather silly graduation song. It speaks of wanting nice cars and, well, boobie. However, graduation, whether from high school or college, is a step in the growing up process.
- "How It Feels To Fly" – Alicia Keys. Keys' line, "Hope my wings don't fail me now," fits perfectly into the graduation song theme. Graduation is a mixture of hope and fear. You must leave the nest, but are you every completely sure you'll be able to really fly
- "Going Away To College" - Blink-182. Some graduation songs deal with friendship and the spreading of wings. Other graduation songs are more to the point. This Blink-182 song just comes right out and says it: "Going Away To College."
- "One Step At A Time" – Jordin Sparks. Ths Jordin Sparks song lyric is another way of saying, 'Take it slow.' Nobody jumps into adulthood. Instead, it's a series of steps. You get there, but only by taking your time.
- "A Place In This World" – Taylor Swift. With this song, Taylor Swift sings about just being a girl and looking for her place in the world. Whether you're a girl or a guy, you'll be searching for that place in life where you truly fit.
- "Friends" – Michael W. Smith. This Michael W. Swit song is another one about true friendship. It posits that friendship can last forever, if it's done right.
- "Don’t Stop Believing" – Glee Cast. Yes, this was originally a Journey song. However, this is the Glee generation, and this generation relates best to Glee's take, one supposes. It's all about having faith in yourself.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Remember when Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made all that noise—and news—before the Super Bowl? We had the story long before the season even started, trailing him all over Se ...