Looking for a few grapefruit benefits? While many people love the great taste of grapefruit, they don't realize that it has many health benefits associated with it. Although there are over twenty different types of grapefruit available in the United States, the most popular types are pink, white and red. In addition to being loaded with folate, calcium, iron and potassium, the grapefruit has many other benefits, a few of which will be discussed below.
- Alkaline Reaction. One of the best grapefruit benefits is its alkaline reaction. The alkaline reaction that is associated with grapefruit increases the amount of alkalinity in your body. There are many diseases that are caused by you having too much acid in your body, such as acid reflux, and the increased alkalinity that the grapefruit provides can help treat those diseases.
- Pectin. A little known fact about grapefruit is that this citrus fruit is a great source of pectin. If you aren't familiar with pectin, it is a soluble fiber. Eating foods, such as grapefruit, that are rich in pectin is great for your body, as pectin can help reduce the amount of cholesterol in your blood.
- Lycopene. Another grapefruit benefit is the fact that it can contain a high amount of lycopene. It is important that you know that only pink and red grapefruit contain the high amounts of lycopene. Lycopene is an antioxidant that is very good for your health and well being, especially if you are a male, because it can reduce your risk of developing prostate cancer.
- Low Fat. Like most fruits, grapefruit is low in fat. If you start eating more grapefruit instead of other processed, fatty snacks, such as chips, you can lose weight. As you probably know, if you are at an ideal weight for your height, you can reduce your risk of developing diabetes.
- Constipation. Are you suffering from constipation? If so, go ahead and eat a grapefruit. Another fantastic grapefruit benefit is the fact that it can add bulk to your intestines, which helps in getting your bowels moving. Of course, there are medications that you can take to make yourself go, but going the natural way by eating a grapefruit is generally the better option.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …