Looking for Greek Lent recipes? Lent is a special time for the Greek culture. Being a time for prayer, penance, sacrifice and good works, there are many special customs. One such custom relates to the type of food Greeks can eat during Lent. Lent is a time when the Greek churches prepare their congregations for the Easter celebration. They congregate more often during Lent to pray and fast. If cooking for a Greek Christian, it is helpful to know what they prefer to eat during Lent. Here are some great recipes to start off this Greek Lent.
To make red lentil soup with rice for Greek Lent, you will need:
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 rib celery
- 1 cup plain tomato sauce
- 1 cup short-grained rice
- 1 cup red lentils, soaked for four hours
- 1 bunch spinach, washed and cut into strips (optional)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Rinse lentils.
- Cook lentils for 45 minutes in two quarts of water. Add celery, onion, salt and pepper to taste.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the lentils. Strain the broth and discard the celery.
- Saute the sliced onion and the garlic in oil for three minutes.
- Add tomato sauce. Cook two minutes more.
- Add lentils, spinach, and then lentil broth.
- Once the soup comes to a boil, add rice. Occasionally stir the soup till done.
Unleavened bread is a great Greek Lent food to add to your soup. It is not overly filling, so your family and friends will still have enough room for the main course. To make unleavened bread, you will need:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- A dash of salt
- 1/2 stick butter
- A cookie sheet
- A glass jar or drinking glass.
- A knife
- A ruler
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Mix flour, sugar (optional), salt and melted butter.
- Add milk. Make sure the milk is mixed thoroughly.
- Knead the dough on a cookie sheet for approximately 30 minutes. Be sure to remove air bubbles. Break dough apart into two portions.
- Use a drinking glass or jar to roll the dough onto a cookie sheet.
- Pierce the dough with a peeling knife. Use a ruler to measure and mark a one-inch strips and use a fork to poke tiny holes into it.
Bake till light golden brown. Break into strips.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…