Greek Yogurt Brands
No longer content to sit back and let a more diluted version take up all the shelf space, these Greek yogurt brands show off just how good the original yogurt can truly be. With an emphasis on simplicity of ingredients and a large dose of protein, Greek yogurt is an excellent choice for the pantry. Grab a spoon and get ready to be taken back to the origins of this simple and healthy food with these brands:
- Greek Gods Facing the challenges of a company name that uses "Gods" and "Greek" means the bar is set high. Luckily, Greek Gods has a good pair of legs and makes the jump quite easily. Their family sizes and their single sizes both have their own unique flavors, which is a nice touch. Creamy and tangy without taking precedence makes for a Greek yogurt that's top-notch. The tops of each container have a Greek God on them, so you can tie in mythology lessons with snack time for yourself and the kids. Try the vanilla orange cinnamon on for size for an interesting mix of texture and taste.
- Fage With a creaminess that doesn't overwhelm, Fage doesn't assault the taste buds so much as ally with them. A nice selection of various fruit and fruit blends gives extra options without inundating you with the vastness of flavors normal yogurt encompasses. You won't find devil's food yogurt here, but you will find at least a berry or two from your favorites. A Greek yogurt that keeps its focus clear on providing the best while avoiding splintering into unnecessary taste mixtures.
- Chobani With 10 percent of net income after reinvestment expenditures going to charities marks Chobani as concerned about the health of their yogurt as they are about the health of others. Chobani adheres to certain organic guidelines but splits from the pure organic label in favor of local sourcing ingredients. The importance of local sourcing depends on your perspective, but it does show support for the economy that surrounds Chobani, so you can't disagree that they make yogurt from people they have a hands-on relationship with. A bit tangier than other brands, this Greek yogurt has only three blends, preferring to rely on single additions of fruit or honey to their yogurt. Simple can be great and this yogurt should serve your needs with aplomb.
- Oikos Besides eating Oikos Greek yogurt for the taste, this brand makes friends with vegetables and chips as a great dipping sauce. Spice it with a little thyme or cayenne pepper and you've eliminated the mess of bringing out a food processor to handcraft one of your famous dips. A great way to cut off time on party preparation, you won't be filling your guests with exotic food colorings and ingredients that would require a master's degree in chemical engineering to pronounce. Tartness meets creaminess with a high five as both strive for your tongue's attention.
- Brown Cow A Greek yogurt for those who prefer creamy over tangy and tart. It's almost amazing in how it actually tastes thick as if thick was a flavor. A great choice for a slow snack because it is one of those Greek yogurts you should take your time in eating, savoring the texture and taste or the richness will be overwhelming. Though Brown Cow has a smaller variety than the others, it's still an excellent Greek yogurt to sample, especially if the tang of other brands seems too strong to your liking.