Make Greek yogurt recipe to have a healthy, thick and creamy treat. This yogurt is white, dense and perfect with breakfast cereal, afternoon snacks and other food. Many people eat Greek yogurt to satisfy hunger urges, for protein, extra calcium and as topping alternatives.
To make Greek yogurt, you will need:
- 2 quarts skim milk
- 2 teaspoons yogurt
- Pour two quarts of skim milk in a glass bowl. Place the glass bowl of skim milk into the microwave.
- Microwave the glass bowl of skim milk. Cook in the microwave for eight minutes on the "high" setting. Pause the microwave, and stir the skim milk with a spoon. Stirring the skim milk will prevent skin from forming on top.
- Continue cooking the glass bowl of skim milk in the microwave for eight additional minutes. The skim milk will be around 175 to 185 degrees and bubbling when it is finished.
- Cool the skim milk to 110 to 120 degrees. Check the temperature of the skim milk with a cooking thermometer. Cooling may take up to 40 minutes.
- Whisk 2 teaspoons of yogurt into the skim milk. The yogurt must have live cultures with no additives. Preheat the oven on 100 degrees for one minute.
- Wrap the glass bowl of skim milk mixture with a towel. Turn the oven light on, and stick the wrapped bowl in the oven. Keep the yogurt in the oven for six to ten hours.
- Observe the yogurt to see if it is finished. The finished yogurt will have a thick texture like gelatin, and a yellow liquid on top called "whey." Chill the yogurt if it is finished. If the yogurt is not done, put it in the oven for a few more hours.
- Use a bouillon strainer or coffee filter to drain excess liquid from the yogurt. Let the yogurt stay in the strainer or filter for hours until it is reduced by half. Remove all the whey.
- Pour the yogurt out of the strainer and into a bowl. Whisk the yogurt until it is fully mixed and fluffy. Put the Greek yogurt into a glass jar, seal the jar and put it in the refrigerator.
- If yogurt chunks fall thru the strainer or coffee filter, put the yogurt in the oven again.
- Tip the strainer or filter to the side if liquid puddles on top.
- Do not pour the yogurt into the strainer or filter rapidly.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Lando’s Penalty Kick Ritual: A Tribute
He plays his last match for the USA tonight. This video is a testament to his impact.