Need a guide to dating Filipino women? Maybe you've been lusting after a gorgeous, sultry Filipina, a Nicole Scherzinger look-a-like, but you just weren’t sure how to approach her or what to expect. Don’t just sit around wondering what it would be like to get to know her and take a chance, ask her out. But make sure to read this guide first. Remember, though, every woman is an individual and there are always going to be exceptions to these rules. Also, if a Filipina and her family have been in the United States for a long time, she will probably be fully Americanized and many cultural differences will be minimal.
- Filipino time. Some countries are just not as clock-oriented as United States. On time for Filipinos means being about 30 minutes late. Even Filipino weddings don’t start on time. Dating a Filipina means being patient and possibly telling her that events will start a half an hour earlier than they actually do. It’s important to understand that her tardiness is not because she is trying to be rude. It’s just that being somewhere at an exact time is not stressed in the Filipino culture.
- Family is important. Filipinos are very family-oriented people and it is usually very important to a Filipina to have her family’s approval of the person she is dating. Large family gatherings with lots of singing and eating are not uncommon. Don't be surprised if you are constantly meeting cousins as the extended family is also important to Filipinos.
- Education is important to Filipinos. According to the Migration Policy Institute, 50 percent of Filipino immigrants over the age of 25 have at least a bachelor’s degree. It is highly likely that the Filipina you are interested in has a college degree or is working towards one, as well. Don’t be surprised if her parents are interested in your educational background and career.
- Inter-racial dating. Although most Filipino families would probably prefer their daughters marry someone of the same race, inter-racial dating, especially with an American, is not a huge issue. It wouldn’t hurt, though, to find out from the Filipina woman her family’s views on inter-racial dating before meeting them just in case they do have an issue, so you can mentally prepare. If there are biases, hopefully, over time, you can charm them into forgetting about them.
- Be smart. You can't charm people if you offend them. Until you get to know the Filipina and her family, it is wise not to make any Asian jokes, especially ones like, “This is my mail-order bride.” You may think you’re hysterical. She and her family, not so much.
- Don't mistake nice for pushover. Many men are initially attracted to Filipinas because they are usually very nice and tend to smile easily. Do not, however, take their apparent easy-going and sweet nature as meaning a Filipina will be meek and subservient. Filipina women are usually pretty independent and self-sufficient. Many work, and of those who are employed, almost one-quarter are registered nurses.
- Be open to trying new things. Filipino families will encourage you to try to eat traditional favorites like lumpia (which is actually very similar to egg rolls) and will probably encourage you to do Karaoke at a family gathering. Try to fit in at these large family gatherings and have fun.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.