Gymnastics Cool Down Ideas
Gymnastics cool down ideas are important after doing gymnastics work outs, as it allows the muscles in the body to relax and not cause painful cramps once the the physical activity has stopped. There are a number of different activities that can be done once the gymnastic workout has been completed, though the ideas for this cool down can vary based on length depending on how strenuous the gymnastics work-out was.
- Slow aerobic jog. A slow aerobic jog allows the muscles to gently work the blood and lactic acid out of them to keep cramps or possible tears from occurring. It also lowers body temperature and allows people to catch their breath after a gymnastics work-out. It will also gradually lower heart rate. The time this slow jog should be done varies on the length of the previous workout. It's best to be done after long and strenuous gymnastics work-outs.
- Stretching. Stretching, which is done at the beginning of gymnastics workouts during the warm-up, is also important to do when people are cooling down, post-gymnastics activities. This lengthens the muscles and improves flexibility. It should be done as a gymnastics cool down idea for five to ten minutes after the gymnastics workout.
- Cartwheels and forward rolls. Doing simple gymnastics like cartwheels and forward rolls slowly after a gymnastics workout is another good gymnastics cool down idea. This will gently remove blood and lactic acid from muscles.
- Yoga. A combination of stretching and strength and conditioning, fifteen to twenty minutes of yoga after a gymnastics workout is a helpful gymnastics cool down idea. Make sure you have a mat to support yourself while doing this.
- Stationary Bike. Riding a stationary bike at a leisurely pace for five to ten minutes after doing gymnastics is an excellent gymnastics cool down idea. This is bets for relaxing the muscles in your legs, not necessarily your upper body.