Haldol Side Effects
Haldol side effects can include a minor symptoms such as suffering from dry mouth or it could be something more extreme like an erection that can last for hours. This is the reason why you should pay attention to the common and severe side effects that goes along with any medication you are taking. If a symptom begins to show, you will know when to call the doctor.
Haldol is sometimes referred to as haloperidol. It is given to treat many psychotic disorders and to control motor tics, among other conditions. It works by decreasing abnormal excitement in a person.
Haldol side effects can include:
- Dry mouth. Yes, the amount of saliva produced can vary from person to person. This symptom can be helped by drinking more water and chewing sugarless gum.
- Digestive problems can range from constipation, heartburn, constipation, nausea and vomiting. These digestive problems are usually not severe. However, if the loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting or the heartburn interferes with eating you begin to lose weight, the physician who prescribed your medication should be notified.
- Sleeping problems such as drowsiness, blurred vision, difficulty falling asleep or staying awake. These symptoms may start out as annoying Haldol side effects, but if they continue, they will interfere with your life and should be discussed with your physician.
- Eye problems such as blurred vision. This may begin as an annoying problem, but if it continues or increases in severity, you may wish to discuss it with your physician. Of course, you definitely should not drive or operate machinery if a symptom such as this is occurring.
- Restlessness, nervousness, dizziness, headache. These are symptoms that should be discussed with your physician if they continue. You should pinpoint when these severe symptoms occur and how often they occur.
- Severe conditions may include fever, fast or irregular heartbeat, sweating, difficulty breathing or swallowing, uncontrollable mouth or jaw movements, seizures or an erection that lasts for hours. These are all considered severe symptoms. Medical treatment may be needed.
If you experience any other unusual behavior while taking this medication, it may also be a Haldol side effect and you should discuss it with your doctor. However, remember you may take this medication and never suffer from any side effects at all.