Half Marathon Training Schedule For Beginners
To implement this half marathon training schedule for beginners, you must already be running or jogging at least eight to ten miles a week for at least a few months. You should have a physical done as well and receive medical clearance from your doctor. The training guide should progress you steadily to a 13.1 mile run over the course of eighteen to 24 weeks.
To accomplish a half marathon training schedule for beginners, you'll need:
- Comfortable running shoes
- Lightweight, non chafing running clothing, usually polyester fabrics.
- Water and/or sports beverages.
- Watch with a stopwatch function (to keep track of running intervals)
- Can-do attitude
- Complete your running three days a week. You’ll start off running three to four miles three times a week. Run at a comfortable place. After you can easily accomplish this, you’ll be able to progress by specializing your runs.
- Schedule a long, slow run. The long runs are the most important elements of your half-marathon training, as it will help you prepare you mentally and physically for the distance ahead of you. Add a mile every couple of weeks to your longer runs to prolong your endurance and training until you’ve reached ten miles per long run in about a couple of hours.
- Recalibrate your weekly mileage. Total weekly miles ran for new runners should be approximately double the length of your long running day, which can be spilt up on your other two running days. This will increase as your long running days’ distance increases.
- Cross-train at least once a week. You can rest from running but still work out by implementing a cross-training routine. Cycling, swimming, stretching and strength-training are great cross-training activities.
- Schedule rest days at least once a week. Rest days are the second most important part of your half-marathon training schedule. Due to the stress that accumulates with running, you’ll need to stay healthy by refraining from any physical activity for one day; take two days if you feel you really need it.