Hang Gliding Tandem Basics
Mastering hang gliding tandem basics aren't hard. You let the certified pilot do all the work and he instructs you what role you play during the flight. It's a wonderful way to experience hang gliding without the stress of flying solo. Make a few trips to prepare for a solo flight, or simply go to enjoy a bird's eye view.
- Comfortable Clothing
- Closed-toe shoes (not sandals)
- Snack and water
- Check your pilot's certification. Before scheduling your trip, check your hang gliding tandem pilot's certification. Make sure he knows his stuff and has done this before. Check the weather forecast and ensure that he does not plan to fly if any signs of less than perfect weather show up.
- Dress comfortably for your trip. Once you're in the air, you don't have the option to change your outfit. Choose comfortable, soft clothing for your tandem hang gliding trip and make sure to wear shoes! Choose closed shoes, not sandals, that will stay on your feet during the flight.
- Relax before the trip. If it's your first hang gliding tandem flight, take a few minutes to breath and relax. You may feel a little nervous, but just focus on how exciting the trip will be once you're on your way. If at any time during your hang gliding tandem trip you feel panicky, let your guide know.
- Ask for a demonstration before taking off. Have the pilot tell you what will happen during the hang gliding tandem flight. Even though you're strapped in and not required to do the actual flying, you'll feel more comfortable understanding what the pilot is going to do. A little bouncing is perfectly normal, and once you know this, it's less likely to startle you if it happens.
- Follow instructions to enter the tandem hang glider. You're strapped in behind the pilot who controls the tandem glider. He'll instruct you of anything else you need to do. Concentrate and do your best, but don't worry if you get it wrong. Pilots have flown with all kinds of people and they can easily fix your mistakes.
- Have fun! Once you're up in the air, you're flying! Enjoy hang gliding tandem and let the wind flow across your face. Take a deep breath and look down at the view below. You're in good hands.