Hard Times Quotes
Hard Times bring out extreme emotions from people, and these hard times quote exemplify the nature of struggle. These five famous individuals all offer a quote about hard times connected to their personal experience that can be examined for inspiration. After reading these five hard times quotes you will either become motivated to improve your circumstances, or feel extremely blessed for what you do have.
- George Carlin: "Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough money not to quit." It is hard enough to remain inspired by a job that feels like hell on Earth. It is even harder when you have no choice but to do it or be completely impoverished. George Carlin vividly captures this typical dilemma that far too many people face in the work force with his quote about hard times.
- Bill Cosby: "Raising children is an incredibly hard and risky business in which no cumulative wisdom is gained: each generation repeats the mistakes the previous one made." Bill Cosby manages to find humor in a painfully true quote about hard times derived from parenthood. After a mother and a father are blessed with a healthy child, next on their wish list is usually that their offspring exceeds their expectations in as many ways as possible. Maybe the reason why generations tend to repeat the same mistakes as those that preceded them is because instead of setting a "new example", older generations tend to set the "same example."
- Coco Chanel: "Hard times arouse an instinctive desire for authenticity." As the popular saying goes, "I can do bad all by myself." When someone is suffering, there is no need to put up an exaggerated image or try to impress anyone with an artificial "ideal version" of him or her. Truth stares them in the face and hopefully, as this hard time quotes says, they will rise to the occasion.
- Winston Churchill: "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival." Overcoming setbacks and obstacles is a standard procedure for confronting hard times. This quote comes across as a wake-up call to stir anyone with a battered self-esteem out of his or her stagnation. Persistence and determination are vital tools in combating suffering.
- Mike Tyson: "I don't react to a tragic happening any more. I took so many bad things as a kid and some people think I don't care about anything. It's just too hard for me to get emotional. I can't cry no more." Having to confront hard times to the point that you no longer cry is a serious result of misfortune. As Mike Tyson so passionately confessions with this quote—compassion weakens when misery and trauma weigh heavy on someone's shoulders. But as instinctive, and often necessary, as it is to protect emotions from being hurt again—life may become even harder without being able to express feelings.