Harvard Medical School Requirements
Living up to Harvard medical school requirements can be an arduous task for any Harvard medical school hopeful. There are many specific requirements you must meet if you wish to be considered for acceptance into Harvard medical school. Here is a list of the top Harvard medical school requirements.
- Biology. Students applying to Harvard medical school are required to have one year of biology with laboratory experience under their belt. The biology course taken should have a primary focus on genetics, cell biology and human biology.
- Chemistry. This Harvard medical school requirement stipulates that students have at least two years of chemistry courses under their belt. Students should have taken courses dealing with general chemistry, organic chemistry and biochemistry.
- Physics. This Harvard medical school requirement may come as a surprise to some, but Harvard medical students are expected to have a firm understanding of the core concepts of physics. Students applying to Harvard medical school need to have taken a year-long physics course that deals with topics that can be applied to biology, such as mechanics, kinetics and thermodynamics.
- Laboratory Experience. In recent years, Harvard has placed a significant emphasis on laboratory experience. Students applying to the program are expected to have participated in hands-on lab exercises that provide experience in problem solving and utilizing correct scientific and medical procedures.
- Computational Skills/Mathematics. Completion of a high level math course(s) is also a Harvard medical school requirement. Students applying to Harvard medical school are expected to have taken courses that deal with calculus and statistics. These courses should also deal with the how math is used in such fields as biology and physics. Courses like biostatistics and calculus-based physics are ideal.
- Analytical and Writing Skills/Expository Writing. Students applying to Harvard medical school are expected to be able to communicate logically and clearly, as well as to be able to analyze a wide variety of situations with clarity. To help instill these skills, students are required to take a one-year course dealing with critical writing and thinking.
Students applying to Harvard medical school are also expected to have a working knowledge of computers. It is also important to note that foreign students who do not posses a degree from a United States or Canadian institution are rarely accepted into Harvard medical school.