Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
Give your family something healthy to snack on with this healthy banana bread recipe. Instead of snacking on junk food, have a slice of sweet and natural banana bread or serve it for dessert. Healthy banana bread is easy to make and freezes well for future use.
To make healthy banana bread, you will need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, smashed
- 1/3 cup plain low fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Non stick cooking spray
- Loaf pan (8 ½ by 4 ½ inches)
- Prepare the ingredients. Remove the butter from the refrigerator 30 minutes to soften to room temperature before starting to make the healthy banana bread recipe. Measure and sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. Peel the bananas, cut them into one inch pieces, and place in a bowl. Use a fork to mash the bananas well.
- Prepare the loaf pan. Spray the loaf pan with a coat of non stick spray. Turn the oven on to 350 degrees F to preheat.
- Cream butter and sugar. Combine the softened butter and sugar in a separate bowl and beat with a mixer on medium speed until creamy smooth.
- Add ingredients to the butter and sugar. Add one egg and continue mixing then add the second egg to the butter and sugar mixture and beat. Add the mashed bananas, vanilla, and yogurt and mix until blended.
- Add the dry ingredients. Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix on the lowest speed until the batter is moist and smooth. Note: Using a high mixer speed when adding the flour will splatter flour everywhere. Pour or spoon the batter into the greased loaf pan. Bake for 60 minutes at 350 degrees F. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center point of the banana bread. If the toothpick comes out dry with nothing stuck to it the bread is done. Remove the banana bread from the oven and place on a cooling rack for ten to fifteen minutes. Remove the healthy banana bread from the loaf pan and place on a cooling rack until completely cooled.
- For a healthier option, use one cup all purpose flour and one cup organic whole wheat flour, and cut the sugar in a half in the banana bread batter.
- Always scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula while mixing to avoid wasting ingredients which need to be in the batter.
- When using an electric mixer, keep the beaters as vertical as possible to avoid splattering yourself and the kitchen with healthy banana bread batter.