Heart Rate Monitors For Swimming: 5 Best
Swimming is a great aerobic exercise, and if you are a swimmer, you can benefit from knowing the 5 best heart rate monitors for swimming. You can burn anywhere from 200-900 calories an hour depending on how vigorously you swim and what stroke you choose. The breast stroke and butterfly stroke will burn the most calories with treading water burning the least. The more muscles you use, the more calories you will burn. Swimming is also great because you get a good aerobic workout without getting hot and sweaty. However, this is also a drawback. You may feel as if you are not working your body as hard as you actually are. Using a heart rate monitor for swimming will help you to determine the amount of work you are putting into your workout and if you are achieving target heart rates. Here are the best heart rate monitors for swimming.
- Polar RS400SD Heart Rate Monitor This heart rate monitor can be used for swimming and other aerobic activities. It is waterproof up to 50 meters and counts the calories burned during a workout. It also has a stopwatch and backlight.
- Polar FS1 For swimming, this heart rate monitor comes at a great price. It is one of the the least expensive in the list at around $60. It can be worn as a wristwatch or a chest strap.
- Garmin Forerunner 310XT This heart rate monitor can be used for any sports activity. It is by far the most powerful monitor on the list. It is waterproof so can be used for swimming. While somewhat bulky, it does have bike, run, and swim modes as well as stores the data from your workouts.
- Timex Easy Trainer Heart Rate Monitor The Timex heart rate monitor is waterproof up to 30 meters, continually displays your heart rate, and has a two year battery life. It does not offer any data storage, but is the least expensive waterproof heart rate monitor on the list at around $50.
- Suunto t3c This heart rate monitor can go to 100 meters deep and contains timers; it also holds up to 50 split times. This heart rate monitor can be used for swimming or as a regular wrist watch.
Heart rate monitors for swimming vary widely from the simple to the complex. Consider what you needs are before purchasing. Many waterproof heart rate monitors are made with the triathlete in mind, so they contain many more features than a heart rate monitor to be used just for swimming.