Heavy Cream Substitute
Heavy cream is an important ingredient in some recipes, but how do you make a heavy cream substitute if you don't have heavy cream available? If you are looking for a heavy cream substitute, these ideas will help you create the delicious dishes your family loves using other ingredients you already have in the home.
Evaporated Milk Heavy Cream Substitute
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 pack unflavored gelatin
- Flour (optional)
- Mix one can of evaporated milk and one package unflavored gelatin together. Let the mixture stand for a few minutes so it can thicken.
- After you have achieved the desired thickness, you can use the ingredient to make your favorite baked goods. You can also substitute flour for the unflavored gelatin if you do not have any available.
Cottage Cheese Heavy Cream Substitute
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 3 tbsp. non-fat powdered milk
- Skim milk or ricotta cheese (optional)
- Add one cup cottage cheese to three tablespoon non-fat powdered milk. Mix the ingredients together to form a smooth consistancy.
- Once you have a smooth consistancy, your heavy cream substitute is ready to use in your recipes. With this substitute, you can use skim milk or ricotta cheese if you do not have the two ingredients listed.
Vegan Heavy Cream Substitute
- 1/2 cup silk tofu
- 1/2 cup plain soymilk
- Mix together half a cup silk tofu and half a cup plain soymilk. Make sure the mixture is smooth without any lumps.
- After you have the desired smoothness and texture, use this mixture as your heavy cream substitute for baking as well as cooking delicacies that require heavy cream.
Low-Fat Milk Heavy Cream Substitute
- 3/4 cup low fat milk
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- Mix approximately 3/4 cup of low-fat milk with 1/3 cup unsalted butter with a tablespoon of all-purpose flour. Make sure you have a smooth texture that is free of lumps.
- Use this thickening agent in your meals as a substitute for heavy cream.
- The advantages of using a heavy cream substitute, in some cases, is lower fat content. However, the drawback to using a heavy cream substitute is some of the ingredients will change the flavor of your dish slightly. Thus, you have to make sure the substitute is something you will enjoy.
- The best way to determine which substitute will work for you is experimenting with different ingredients.