There are two kinds of high carb foods, healthy and unhealthy. Carbohydrates are used by the body to create fuel to burn for energy. Healthy high carb foods are absorbed slower and provide an even supply of fuel. Unhealthy high carb foods are absorbed in the body very quickly and spike the blood sugar. They burn off fast and create what is called a sugar crash. After eating a sugary candy bar, blood sugar spikes, the body gets a burst of energy, it burns off quickly, and the body droops, feels tired, and sleepy.
- High Carb Whole Grains. One of the best sources of high carb foods is whole grains. High carb whole grains foods are brown or wild rice, bran, barley flakes, buckwheat, millet, oatmeal, whole wheat flour, and whole wheat pasta. Oatmeal or whole grain cereal makes a great high carb breakfast, especially if you add fresh fruit to the cereal. Use whole wheat bagels, whole wheat pita bread, or whole wheat bread for sandwiches. Instead of white pasta, try whole wheat pasta with your favorite sauce for dinner.
- High Carb Legumes. Not all legumes are high carb food. The legumes with the highest content of carbs are chickpeas, white beans, black eye peas, refried pinto beans, garbanzo beans, and navy beans. A burrito made with a whole wheat tortilla, refried beans, shredded lettuce, and chopped tomatoes makes a tasty high carb lunch.
- High Carb Fruits. The fruits that contain the highest concentration of carbohydrates are bananas, raisins, cherries, grapes, mangoes, dates, kiwi, figs, pears, pineapple, oranges, and plumbs. Fruit alone will not add a large amount of carbohydrates to a diet but should be added to breakfast cereal or eaten as a dessert.
- High Carb Vegetables. Vegetables with the highest content of carbs are beets, carrots, onions, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, and yams. The high carb vegetables do not make a meal but when added to a meal of chicken, legumes, and whole wheat rolls, it becomes a high carb meal.
- High Carb Processed Grains. There is a simple rule for a healthy diet or weight loss program. It is never eat anything white. This is referring to processed flour, sugar, and rice. When whole grains are processed, the natural vitamins and fiber are removed. When processed white flour, sugar, and rice are ingested, it enters the body quickly and spikes the blood sugar. Essentially, eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white bread is equal to eating a candy bar. Processed grains are found in crackers, breakfast cereal, soft drinks, colorful snack foods, cookies, cupcakes, rice cakes, and many brands of bread.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Things to Talk About This Weekend
Ebola, Brad Pitt, and giant spiders.