Learn about the history of fishing poles. Early fishing rods or poles were designed differently than the fishing poles designed today. Fishing rods were designed for catching fish. Most fishing poles consist of a long pole and a line. But all fishing poles have a hook to hold bait to attract fish at the end of the line.
- Early simple fishing reels. The first fishing rods were made of wooden spools with a metal ring. This ring fit over the angler's thumb so he could hold the rod while fishing in a lake, stream or the ocean. In 1770, the rods were developed with lines and reels.
- First well designed fishing rod. The first well designed fishing rod was made with a geared multiplying rod. This could be turned easily making the spool go around several times.
- Nottingham Reel. This British reel or fishing pole was designed using the wooden lace bobbin. It was a wide reel and easy to use. The Nottingham Reel was used for stream fishing and deep sea fishing. It influenced the future design of the fly fishing rod or reels.
- Rods made from bamboo, lance wood and green heart. In the 18th century elastic wood replaced the heavy wood used in making fishing poles. They developed a technique that used strips of bamboo glued together in making the rods. This strengthened the wood for long wear in the fishing rods.
- Tackle design grew in 1880. Lines made of horse hair were replaced by silk in fishing poles. Often these lines were coated with linseed oil. They made the fishing lines easier to use. Fishermen caught more fish with these poles.
- In 1890 the level wind was developed. This device made the line on the fishing pole spread evenly as it was wound on the reel.
- Gorges. Early rods were made of wood, bone or stone. The fishing poles were about an inch inch long and pointed with a line attached. Fishermen used them to fish from different type of boats.
- 20th century fishing rods. These fishing rods became easier and lighter to use. The rods were made with fiberglass and carbon fibers. Nylon was the primary material used to make fishing lines at this time.
- Manufacturing process. Fishing rods are made of tubular sections called blanks. The rods are usually made of flexible materials like bamboo and fiberglass. Blanks are made by fishing rod manufacturers. Most rods have three blanks, so the rod can be disassembled easily.
- Fishing rod parts. The grips or handles for the rods are made from cork. They are attached to the blanks with glue. Rings called guides control the line that are attached. Rings are made of steel or chrome plated brass.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.