Hoedown Throwdown Dance
The Hoedown Throwdown Dance is a dance made famous by Miley Cyrus in the Movie, “Hannah Montana: The Movie”. Incorporating aspects of country, pop, R&B, and hip-hop, the song and dance has taken a life of its own with a Karaoke version and Dance video Instructional called “"How to Do the Hoedown Throwdown" featured on the Disney Channel.
The 102 minute Disney movie, which features the Hoedown Throwdown Dance, shows Hannah Montana, played by Miley Cyrus, being strung out by popularity. She is urged by her dad to take a trip her hometown of Crowley Corners, Tennessee. There, without the fans and bright lights, she trades in the glitz of Hollywood and works in a farm to get some perspective on life and her country roots. The movie also stars Billy Ray Cyrus (Miley’s father).
The Hoedown Throwdown Dance was choreographed by Jamal Sims. Miley Cyrus claims that the soundtrack is all about her Nashville roots. The Hoedown Throwdown Dance begins with intro in which Myley Cyrus repeats "Boom Boom clap, boom di-clap di-clap" four times. The rest of the Hoedown Throwdown Dance consists of the following parts:
- Pop it. The dance starts with popping your left arm. Try to extending out with fingers and reach as far as you can.
- Lock it. Pivot on the balls of your feet so that your heels go to the right. Stand on the diagonal to the center of the room. Your torso should be bent forward as you hop to the right.
- Countrify it. Hook your thumbs into the top front of your waist band. Then lift your right foot and tap your heel on the ground and as you pick up your right foot, put it back beside your left, do the same thing with your left foot. As you tap your heels on the ground, make sure you do it with your knee straight. Bend at your waist and lean over your right leg. When you tap with your left heel, lean over your left leg.
- Hip-Hop it. Place your left foot on the ground and lift the right leg with a kick. Bring it down beside the left feet and then raise your knee. Kick and make a fist with your hand and bring them together and bring them apart. Then place your hands on your knees when your feet come down on the ground.
- Hawk in the Sky. Sep to the side with your left foot. Straighten your torso as you bring your arms out form your side. Bring your arms in front with elbows bent and fingers extended. Then cross your hands with hand resting on elbows.
- Side to Side. Cross your arms and keep your hands away from the chest. Lift your elbows and bring them down to the left. Then bring them to the center and down to the right. Dip down towards your left, stand up and dip towards your right and stand up.
- Jump to the Left. Drag the ball of your left foot back then off the ground, and then swing the foot forward with your knees straightened. Put the left foot down and pick up the right foot. Then put the right foot in the front.
- Stick it & Glide. Stand with your feet together with your right shoulder facing the center of the room. Pick up your left foot and place feet apart. Then “slide” the right foot towards the left.
- Zig Zag Touch. Pick up your right foot with your knee straight and swing to the left, tap the floor and swing the leg back to the right and tap the floor again. Then bend your knee and touch the heel of right foot with left hand.
- Across the Floor. Step to the side and bring your left foot next to your right, then step to the right with your right foot and bring your left foot to your right.