In the middle of making a Chinese inspired meal and need a Hoisin sauce recipe? Hoisin sauce is frequently required in a number of Chinese recipes, but if you don’t use a lot of Hoisin sauce, it doesn’t make sense to keep a huge bottle on hand. Luckily, Hoisin sauce is easy to make at home and even more delicious when you make it fresh. Below you’ll find a quick and easy recipe for Hoisin sauce that requires few ingredients and no cooking.
To make Hoisin sauce you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 4 tbsp. of soy sauce (reduced sodium is fine, if you prefer)
- 2 tbsp. of creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 tbsp. of honey
- 1/2 tbsp. of brown sugar
- 2 tsp. of white vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. of garlic powder
- 2 tsp. of sesame oil
- 15 to 20 drops of hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 tsp. of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small mixing bowl
- 1 wire whisk
- 1 set of measuring spoons
- Mix, mix, mix. Hoisin sauce is very easy to make because it requires no cooking or preparation. To make the Hoisin sauce, all you have to do is whisk together all of the ingredients listed above. It will take several minutes for the peanut butter to fully incorporate with the rest of the wet ingredients. Just keep whisking until the Hoisin sauce is smooth and lump free.
- Variations. One of the nice things about Hoisin sauce is how many substitutions and variations you can make. If you don’t have any brown sugar or honey on hand you could substitute a tablespoon of molasses. If you don’t like garlic you could substitute onion powder, instead. Allergic to sesame oil? Substitute another flavored oil.
- Enjoy. Spoon your Hoisin sauce over cooked beef, chicken or fish. Hoisin is equally delicious when served with warm Chinese noodles or in a stir fry dish. Leftover Hoisin sauce will last several weeks in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
10 Real-Life Heroes Who Inspired Indiana Jones
Legend has it, these guys are the real MVPs.