Home Decor Tips N Techniques
Here are some home décor tips and techniques. It doesn’t matter whether you are decorating a small apartment or a large house, keep what you want at the forefront of everything else.
- Paint If you want to repaint your home, do it yourself so it will come out exactly how you want it. Get your friends to help and take extra time picking colors and designs. Don’t be afraid to test out colors and brushes, you can always paint over them later. Make it fun and have a painting party - order some pizza and grab some beer and paintbrushes!
- Big Change A helpful home decor tip: don’t be afraid to make a big change. Many people try dozens of smaller changes before finally realizing they need to make one big change to get it the way they want. Not only do they waste money on something they don’t like, but they waste time and energy.
- Time Take the time to decide what you want to do. Don’t rush or let anyone else rush you. If it takes you months to figure out what you want to do, so be it. Don’t let anyone but you decide when you are ready or how you want to decorate your home.
- Be Brave You don’t have to conform, be brave and bold with your choices. If you want a bright red room, paint it bright red. It’s your home, you’re the one who has to live with it and see it everyday. Not anyone else.
- Color Don’t use just one color as a home decor rule of thumb. You can use one base color, like white, but make sure you have at least one more to offset it. If the entire room is white it’s going to blind someone whenever you turn the lights on. So if you paint the walls white, don’t get white furniture.
- Size If you have a small apartment, don’t decorate like it’s a huge house. You only have so much room, figure out what you want then trim it down so it fits with out over cluttering your entire place. Likewise, don’t under do it. If you have a nice big house, don’t buy just one piece of furniture or decoration for one room, unless that’s what you want. Take size into account when you’re decorating.
Ask Questions Some people don’t like to ask questions because it makes them feel stupid. Get over it, store workers are there to help you and to answer your questions, don’t be afraid to be picky and change your mind. Just be polite while you do it and everything will be okay.
Posted on: Feb. 28, 2010