The hookah bars in New York are as diverse as the city itself. New York City is an amalgam of culture and a hookah bar in Queens is different from the fashionable spots in Manhattan. The magic of New York City is in finding your favorite spot in a place beaming with choices.
- Habibi Lounge. Tucked away in Alphabet City, this hookah bar houses a mix crowd of young and old. The lounge is pretty small but the hookahs are relatively cheap for New York City and dishes range from Egyptian hummus to Mexican beef burrito. Hookah flavors are equally diverse, including “Sex on the Beach” and “Bahama Mama.” Best to come after midnight when it picks up and a belly dancer struts her stuff around 1 a.m. Habibi Lounge: 198 Ave. A. New York, NY 10009. (212) 982-0932
- Le Souk Harem. Right smack in Greenwich Village and accessible to various subway stops, this hookah bar boasts of a male belly dancer, good music, tons of eye candy and a private lounge for parties. Le Souk is very New York and that means expensive. Be ready to spend. Le Souk Harem: 510 Laguardia Place. New York, NY 10012. (212) 677-1120
- Cozy Café. The alcoholic choices are limited only to wine, champagne and beer, but it makes up for its 69 flavors of hookahwith special blends such as Cognac, Apple Martini and Egyptian Pharaoh. This hookah bar has no cover charge and has belly dancers on weekends. The outdoor patio is great for summer nights and the Egyptian motif means your nestled in draped fabrics. Cozy Café: 43 E. 1st St. New York, NY 10003. (212) 475-0177
- Falucka. Named after the small boats on the Nile in Egypt, is a small but cozy hookah bar in Greenwich Village. Weeknights are often very chill and weekends are crowded with fashionably underdressed young professionals. The DJ plays a mix of international music, including hip hop, Arabic songs and even some reggae. Falucka: 162 Bleecker St. New York, NY 10012. (212) 777-4555
- Luxor Café. This is a petite and laidback hookah bar in the New York University area. It offers a wide range of flavors including typical favorites such as apple, apricot and mint. Luxor Café: 128 MacDougal St. New York, NY 10012. (212) 979-1004
- Egyptian Coffee Shop. Located in Astoria, Queens, this place is worth the trip. Anyone who has ever been to Cairo and loved it will appreciate this hookah bar’s simple interiors, local Egyptians playing dominos or watching TV, strong coffee and tea, and good hookah without the steep price. Egyptian Coffee Shop: 2509 Steinway St. Astoria, NY 11102. (718) 777-5517
- Sultana Cafe. Just beside the Egyptian Coffee Shop, this hookah bar has an outdoor patio, a DJ and great affordable hookah. The place offers no alcoholic beverages and is meant for hanging out and enjoying conversations. It is also cash only. Sultana Cafe: 25-03 Steinway St. Astoria, NY 11103. (718) 274-0040
- Layali Beirut. Dimly lit, cheap but good hookah, small space and no alcoholic beverages. This is the real deal. Layali Beirut: 2560 Steinway St. Astoria, NY 11102. (718) 777-2111
- Le Caire Lounge. here is a happy hour for drinks and dinner specials from Sunday to Thursday. This is hookah bar is spacious enough to accommodate groups and events, including a downstairs area, but a reservation is required. 189 E. 3rd St. New York, NY 10009. (212) 777-7447
- Horus Lounge. A hookah bar meant for dancing, smoking and loud music. It offers a full bar and a semi-VIP lounge upstairs. Horus Lounge: 510 Laguardia Pl. New York, NY 10003. (212) 677-1120
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …