Learn how to scald milk for boiled custard to complete this delicious dessert. Custard is a creamy beverage that is rich enough to eat for dessert and can be made at home. The flavor of boiled custard is similar to eggnog, a Christmas favorite. In fact, boiled custard is often served like eggnog at holiday parties. Boiled custard is a simple recipe that usually includes milk, eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract. For a variation of the standard boiled custard, use another flavor of extract like rum or almond. To make boiled custard on the stovetop, it's necessary to scald milk. Here's how to scald milk for boiled custard.
To scald milk for boiled custard, you will need:
- Measuring cup
- Double boiler or two saucepans
- Measure the milk. Depending on the recipe, you'll need anywhere from one quart to one gallon of milk. Of course, the more milk that is used, the more boiled custard you'll have to enjoy. Determine the quantity of boiled custard you'll need for your gathering and measure out the required amount of milk.
- Pour the milk in a saucepan. Use a large double boiler or make your own using one larger saucepan with water in the bottom and set a smaller saucepan in the larger pan. Put the milk in the smaller pan or the top pan of the double boiler. This method of heating food allow indirect heat to heat the food keeping the food, in this case milk, from sticking. Be sure to use a large enough pan to accommodate the milk required for the boiled custard recipe.
- Heat the milk. To scald milk for boiled custard, use low heat on the burner under the double boiler pan. Watch the milk carefully until bubbles just begin to form around the edges of the milk in the pan.
- Don't overheat the milk. The key to scalding the milk correctly is to not overheat it.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.