How To 5 Step
Prepare yourself for a lot of practice if you're trying to learn how to 5 Step. The best way to describe the 5 Step is to call it a game of Twister with a rhythm and a beat. That's essentially what you're doing when you 5 Step: you're playing a game of Twister with yourself. What some people don't understand about breakdancing is that most maneuvers don't start out with names. The 5 Step, along with other moves with definite names, started out as a group of moves linked together. Someone saw how they looked linked and gave it a name. In this case, the 5 Step has to do with how many moves you make before you end up back in your original position. Here's how you 5 Step:
- Stretch. The 5 Step requires you to spend a lot of time balancing on your arms and twisting your waist, among other things. So before you begin, make sure you're nice and loose. The 5 Step is difficult enough to do without having a leg cramp or a pulled muscle.
- Start off. Like we said earlier, you spend the majority of your time on your arms twisting your torso and utilizing your foot speed. To start your 5 Step off, get on the ground in the push-up position. Have your arms shoulder length apart with your butt slightly elevated. You need to keep your legs spread slightly more than shoulder length apart when you start out.
- Kick it. Lets start off with your left leg. Kick your left leg forward towards your right shoulder. Simultaneously lift your right arm to the sky and twist your waist so your right arm goes back. The finished position should be with you in a crab position with your left leg in the previous position of your right arm and your right arm currently taking up the space that your left leg left. Immediately drop your left leg to the ground and bring your right leg (folded in an upright position with your foot on the ground) to the back of the knee of your left leg. Lift up into a crouched position but keep your arms on the ground placed behind you. Bring your right arm and cross it over your torso, touching the ground on your left side.
- Twist back. Swing your crossed right arm back over your torso and plant it into the ground. While your right arm is swinging back, kick your right leg out and curl it around your crouched left one. Swing your left arm over your torso and twist your waist. At this point you should be chest down holding yourself up on both arms with your legs crossed.
- The kick out. The next move in the 5 Step is to kick your left leg out and back from the curled right leg. Now kick the left leg up and swing it under your push-up pose. Swing your right arm up and over to the left. You should be back in a crab position with your left leg lowered to the ground. Once again, drag your right leg over into the knee of your lowered left leg and repeat the process over. And that, everyone, is the 5 Step.
- Practice. The faster you can do the 5 Step, the better. You shouldn't have much of a problem transitioning in and out of this move simply because you're always rotating. You just have to pick and choose when to switch to another move. The more seamless the routine, the better.