There are many different advantages that come with acting like a cigar smoker. You get to hang out in smokey cigar lounges, where large business deals, shady information and illicit behavior is regularly conducted. Many important, influential people like dictator Fidel Castro, president John F. Kennedy and comedian George Burns smoked cigars and while smoking a cigar won't necessarily make you influential or important, it can put you in the company of people who are, which is at least a step in the right direction.
- Have a cigar cutter. Real cigar smokers have their own cutter which they carry with them. These cutters aren't expensive and are easy to carry in your wallet or the back pocket of your pants. You can easily bring it with you if you're on the go.
- Know how to use the cigar cutter. Having one is only the first step. Make sure you actually know how to use it, so that you don't ruin the cigar when you try and cut it. Cut (or clip) the very tip of the cigar only, so that the tobacco leaf it has been wrapped in does not begin to unravel or break off. Snip the end with one quick click of your cigar cutter. Don't saw it off, as this looks amateur. Get it right the first time.
- Lick the cigar before you smoke it. That's right, by moistening the outside of the cigar it will burn more evenly. Don't slather it with spit but lick the outside slightly with your tongue so that it is just a little moist when you light it.
- Ask about the cigar, if someone gives you one. Make sure it's from Cuba, the Dominican Republic or anywhere in Central America. Be very impressed when they say one of those countries. If they say any other countries, ask some questions about the cigar. See if they know what they are talking about.
- Don't inhale when you smoke the cigars. You'll cough and look like a moron. Inhale the smoke into your mouth, taste it, exhale slowly.
- Hold the cigar in your hand. Not in your mouth, you're not Winston Churchill. Take drags every so often. Ash once the ash has between a half inch and inch in length, not more often as it will make the cigar burn unevenly but not less as the cigar can go out. If you have to relight the cigar, it will immediately give you away.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …