How To Activate A Verizon Cell Phone
After buying your new handset, you're going to have to learn how to activate a Verizon cell phone before you make your first call. Verizon makes it very easy for you activate your cell phone with a few basic steps.
To activate a Verizon cell phone, you will need:
- Verizon Wireless-compatible cell phone
- Account with Verizon Wireless
- Charge your cell phone. Just about every new cell phone comes with instructions to charge the handset for at least four to six hours before use (see your instructions manual). Make sure you complete this step before you go any further.
- Power up the phone. Turn the cell phone on and wait for it to load completely. Assure that you see at least a few reception bars on the cell phone so that it can "talk" to your closest cell phone tower.
- Call to activate cell phone. Dial the code *228 and hit "Send." The cell phone will call the Verizon activation line.
- Follow the prompts. Press option "One" to begin the activation process. Wait for the Verizon cell phone activation to complete--it could take a few minutes. If there's a problem you'll be directed to a customer service representative.
- Activate online as an alternative. You can also visit the Verizon cell phone activation website to activate your cell phone. By using this method you have to remove the battery and write down the ESN/MEID number before proceeding. You also need personal information found on the order sheet that came with your new cell phone.