Looking for information on how to activate Windows 7? After you have installed Windows 7 on your computer, you must activate the operating system within a period of 30 days. By activating your copy of Windows 7, Microsoft is able to verify that your copy is genuine and hasn't been used on more computers than the Microsoft Software License Terms allows for.
To activate Windows 7, you will need:
- Your Windows 7 product key
- A working internet connection
- Access the Activation Window. To access the activation window in Windows 7, you will first need to click on the "Start" button located on the bottom left of your screen. Right-click on "Computer," click on "Properties" and click on "Activate Windows Now."
- Finding an Internet Connection. If you have a direct connection to the internet, Windows should detect it on its own. Once it has done that, click on "Activate Windows Online Now." If you are using a modem to connect to the internet, you will need to click on "Show Me Other Ways to Activate."
- Enter your Product Key. Once you have entered your Windows 7 product key, click on the "Next" button. If you are activating by using a direction connection, simply follow the directions on your screen to complete the activation process. If you are activating by using a modem, continue to the next step.
- Click on "Use My Modem to Connect Directly to the Activation Service." Depending on the User Account Control settings on your computer, you may be prompted to enter the administrator password before you can complete this step.
- Select a Location. Once you have been taken to the next screen, you will need to select the modem location you are closest to. You will then need to click "Next" and follow the directions on your screen to complete the Windows 7 activation process.
If you are having any difficulties activating Windows 7 via the internet, after you have entered your product key, click on "Use Automated Phone System" and follow the directions on your screen to activate Windows 7 by using the telephone.