Here's how to adjust the hydraulic clutch on a motorcycle, should you need to do so. With the introduction of hydraulic clutches on motorcycles, they have a few advantages of cable driven clutches. Cable clutches are prone to snapping or can have their performance affected by dirt, water, rust or the cable stretching, meaning it needs regular adjustment and servicing.
What You'll Need:
- Allen Wrench
- Hydraulic clutches use hydraulic fluid which is under pressure by the clutch master cylinder to move the clutch plates. When the clutch is engaged this fluid forces the clutch plates to move. Being a maintenance free system, the use of hydraulic clutches on motorcycles is a great move for the industry, especially as they reduce the effort needed to pull in the clutch lever.
- The main adjustment on a hydraulic clutch is the clutch lever and its placement from the handlebar. By loosening the two pinch bolts on the clutch lever, this adjusts the angle at which the lever sits adjacent to the handlebar. Tighten them up when you are comfortable with the angle.
- The next adjustment which can be made is the distance from lever to handlebar. There is a thumb-wheel or a smaller lever which affects the distance. Pull in the clutch lever slightly, where it is more comfortable for you and loosen the Allen bolt. Move the small lever, until it holds the distance solid. Tighten up the bolt and you can now have a clutch lever which is closer to the handlebar and angled to your liking. This adjustment will help if you find it difficult to pull in the lever and you find your hand strength wears out quickly.
- Some clutches have pins and levers which help adjust the clutch engagement point. For this you have to dismantle the lever body and spend time getting the 'bite' point just right for your preference.
- It is also possible to adjust the free play in your motorcycle's hydraulic clutch. You have around 1/6” to adjust at the clutch operating rod end, on the clutch itself. You do this by screwing inwards or outwards, depending on whether you want the clutch engagement to be closer or farther away from the handlebars.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
8 Things All Guys Should Stop Doing by Age 30
You're a man now, dog.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.