A ski boot that fits improperly causes a lack of balance and can lead to a rough skiing experience, so learning how to adjust ski boots is a necessity. The main reason for adjustments is to provide or restrict the flex of the ski boot. Alignment of the foot is the primary factor in achieving the ideal fit that can help prevent injuries and promote advancement in skill level.
- The flex adjustment. The flex adjustment is found at the rear of the boot near the heel area and controls the forward motion of the ankle. You can adjust it to change the stiffness of the ankle movement in ski boots. The stiffer the boot the less you work, so if you’re a beginner you should go easy with this adjustment.
- The lateral upper-cuff adjustment. The lateral upper-cuff rests directly above the flex adjustment and allows you to shift the upper boot to align with your lower leg. This is useful if you have bow legs or if you have knock knees.
- The ramp angle adjustment. The ramp angle is located below the flex adjustment and can alter the angle of the sole of the ski boot, moving the center of gravity either forward or backward.
- Adjusting the power strap. The power strap, located at the front of the boot on the top, controls how tight the boot fits against your ankle and shin. The power strap should always fit tautly.
- The ski-walk adjustment. This adjustment is used more for walking than skiing because it causes the upper-cuff to shift backwards. This adjustment to the ski boot is useful when a good amount of walking will occur while skiing.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …