Do you want to learn about how to adjust the valves on a 1995 Dodge V10? The Dodge V10 engine is a behemoth and keeping it running sweet is important to retaining performance and life expectancy. By keeping on top of the valve adjustment, the combustion chambers will be kept at optimum levels and you will retain better fuel economy and power. It will also reduce the chance of an overheated engine which will cause its own problems.
- The tools you will need to adjust the valves on a 1996 Dodge V10 are:
- 12mm socket
- Socket wrench
- Feeler gauges
- Phillips screwdriver
- Spark plug wrench
Here is how to adjust the valves :
- With a cold engine, undo the retaining screws on the rocker covers across both banks of the V10. Remove the water pipes which get in the way; you will lose some coolant, so remember to refill the system afterwards. Take the air cleaner housing off.
- Remove the ten spark plugs using a spark plug wrench. Label them and the HT leads with the numbers one through 10, if they are not already labeled. Replace any plugs which are worn.
- Remove the valve covers – you will be able to see the valve train here, including the camshafts, engine valves and rockers.
- Turn the crank so the pistons are pointing at top dead center (TDC) to ensure the valves are in the closed position. Starting at the front of the engine on one bank, systematically run through the valves, adjusting the the manufacturer's settings with a feeler gauge. Loosen the top nut and adjust the adjuster nut with the socket. Tighten onto the feeler gauge, which should still be able to move in and out from under the valves with a slight drag.
- It may take a few tries with each valve to ensure the valve will sit properly in the valve recess.
- Refit the valve covers and air filter. Then, top up the coolant level. Start the engine and listen for any lumpy idle. If you had to adjust the valves a lot, the engine should run sweeter and the performance regained even more.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
Why Your Wife May Be Unhappy in Your Marriage and How it Can...
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.