Leather jackets are a classic when it comes to fashion and knowing how to alter sleeves on leather jacket is a must. They have withstood the fashion test of time. You can't go wrong with a stylish leather jacket. You can't go wrong unless the sleeves are too long. In that case, a simple alteration will do the trick. Luckily, by following a few simple steps, you can easily alter the sleeves on a leather jacket.
In order to alter sleeves on a leather jacket, you will need:
- Your jacket
- Sewing machine or needle and thread
- Tape measure
- Masking tape
- Seam ripper
- Gather measurements. Try on the leather jacket to figure out how much of an alteration you will need to make to sleeves. First, measure the length of the sleeves. Measure your own arms, too.
- Separate. Using a seam ripper, gently separate the lining of the jacket from the fabric on the side of the cuff. Rip only the thread that is holding it together.
- Make your mark. Once you determine the length you want your sleeves to be, lay the leather jacket flat and mark the spot you want to cut on your jacket using the masking tape.
- Cutting time. Carefully cut the jacket at the markings. (If your alteration involves making the sleeves longer, you will need to cut the sleeves at the shoulders and then add replacement sleeves the correct length.)
- Sew it up. Use the needle and thread or sewing machine to stitch the lining to the fabric. It is best to use a whip stitch. You can then press the cuffs with a hot iron.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …