If you wish to end your marriage, read the following article on how to annul a marriage. An annulment is a court procedure that makes a marriage null and void. It is similar to a divorce. However, it makes it as though the marriage never took place to begin with. Most annulments are granted to couples that have only been married for a short time. As a result, each party keeps their own assets and nothing needs to be divided.
- Hire an attorney. An attorney is not a requirement to annul a marriage, but the process is much easier with one. Annulments are extremely hard to prove. Therefore, it is best to have an attorney that can help you navigate your way through the legal system.
- Determine whether or not your case qualifies for an annulment. The grounds for one will depend on your jurisdiction. Some common grounds for an annulment include: duress, intoxication, underage parties, refusal of intercourse, and a concealment of prior marital status.
- File a petition for annulment. If you wish to annul a marriage, you must file a petition through the courts. In this petition, you will be required to explain why an annulment should take place. Along with this, there is a filing fee that you will have to pay.
- Your spouse will be served the petition. This petition will inform them of the annulment proceedings that will be taking place. Both you and your spouse will receive a court date that you must attend. Make sure to be present if you want the annulment to be granted.
- Attend the court hearing. You must attend the hearing date that you were given. In court, you will be required to prove your case as to why you should be granted an annulment. The proceedings you will go through are similar to that of a divorce hearing.
- Wait and hope that you were successful. If the annulment is granted, your marriage contract will become null and void. It will be as if the marriage never took place.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...
The Modern Gentleman’s Guide to Casual Sex
Studies show your fling has an assumption about how things will go. Prove them wrong.
How to End Awkward Handshakes
A short illustrated history of when to use what.