Hopefully you won’t need to know how to apologize for standing someone up, but there may come a day when you need to apologize. Standing someone up can cause hard feelings. When you apologize, you want to repair the damage it may have caused in your relationship.
- Apologize promptly. Contact the person that you stood up as soon as possible. They may be angry or concerned and be anxious to hear from you.
- Be honest. Explain the reason that you didn’t show. Even if it sounds lame like a lame reason, tell her if you lost track of time or got cold feet. If you were delayed at work or got in an accident then you should have called. If you didn’t, explain what happened honestly.
- Take responsibility. Don’t blame it on your coworkers or your friend or traffic that you should have anticipated. Accept the blame for your actions that resulted in standing someone up.
- Keep it simple. Rambling on about every detail of what happened sounds defensive and the other person may think you are making it up as you go along. Simply apologize. Acknowledge that she may be angry or worried. Say you regret what happened.
- Reassure her that you will be more reliable. When you apologize, let her know that you intend to show up in the future and if there should be a crisis that you will be in touch right away.
- Ask for forgiveness. After standing someone up, apologize and then ask if they will forgive you and ask what you can do to make amends.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Remember when Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made all that noise—and news—before the Super Bowl? We had the story long before the season even started, trailing him all over Se ...