How To Apply For Social Security Retirement
When you are over 61 years old, you can learn how to apply for social security retirement benefits. You should apply for benefits no more than four months before the date you want your retirement benefits to start. If you are not yet retiring, you should still apply for benefits. This will speed up the process when you are ready to retire.
Things you'll need:
- Computer with internet access
- Fill out the application online at the Social Security Administration's official website. Click on "Social Security Retirement Benefit Application" and fill out all of your information.
- If you are blind, handicapped or unable to go to the website above, you can call the Social Security Administration at 1 (800) 772-1213. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call 1 (800) 325-0778. The representative who answers the phone will help you fill out your retirement benefits information.
- You can go to your local Social Security office directly to fill out your information in person. Before you do this, you will have to make an appointment with the Social Security office. Utilize an internet search engine to find the your local Social Security office's phone number.
If you are currently living out of the country, contact the nearest Social Security office, Consulate or United States Embassy. The representative will tell you where you will need to go to fill out your information. The Social Security office may send you the application through mail or have you fill it out online. Remember, if you are out of the country, look into this ahead of time. It takes the Social Security administration three to four months to set up your benefits. You do not want to be sitting in a foreign country without money.
- After you fill out the paperwork, wait for your benefits to begin. If you do not receive a check on or around your 62nd birthday, you will have to call your local Social Security office to see what is going on with your benefits.
- The Social Security Administration needs time to process your benefit package. Fill out your forms in a timely manner.
- Do not count on Social Security benefits exclusively. Your government retirement package will not be enough for you to live a comfortable retirement.